Girl Talk

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Harajuku Girls

In one of our Good Girlz meetings, we discussed what might be next on our blog. I (Thar) planned a vacation in Japan in June and we decided to include a little international flair as a Good Girl has always got to be in style whenever and wherever she goes. We hope you enjoy!

Earlier this month I vacationed in Japan for approximately a week. I roamed the central part of Japan, Osaka, Kyoto and Kanazawa before trekking to Tokyo for the final leg of my trip. I decided I had to make one major stop before coming back home to the states: Tateshima Street in Tokyo’s Harajuku District. As some may know, Gwen Stefani sang about Harajuku Girls on her album “Love. Angle. Music. Baby.” and the Harajuku Girls have appeared on numerous Stefani videos including “Hollaback Girl”.

A prime example of a Harajuku Girl are the two girls featured in the picture to the right.
I could not resist saying “Sumemasen” (Excuse Me) to the girls I saw at the sock store (yes, a store just for socks). As you can see, Miyako (left of picture) is clad in a dress reminiscient of a cross between a French maid and Minnie Mouse. Yuka is dressed in the funny “holds no bar” mix-matched knee highs. I love it!

These ladies were two of the tamest in the Harajuku District. I attach Exhibit A: Where can we find a wedding dress or a pimp outfit nowadays?




If you stroll around most of Japan, young girls and some as old as 30 look like they’ve just purchased their clothes from the extreme rack of Hot Topic.

The most important aspect of Japanese fashion, no matter how outrageous some outfits are, is that of modesty. I noticed that modesty shapes Japanese Fashion; no one showed cleavage and there were no bare bellies. I believe this is one of the many reasons why we have the Harajuku fashion because you have to be outrageous in one way or another if you can’t bare skin. Speaking of skin, I had to brave going commando on my first day in Japan as my luggage was delayed in Chicago, so I was a bit uncomfortable as Japan is quite cool at night and in the morning, but once the sun comes out, so do the parasols!

Stay tuned for my next and final travel blog. Learn more about parasols, one of the favorite accessories in Japan that is sure to make a comeback soon here in America!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home